|THE WEEK AHEAD
Monday – Committee on the Environment
- Update on LED lighting
- Presentation on Clear Creek Natural Heritage Center
Monday – Council Monthly Lunch Work Session.
- We will receive the annual report from the Denton Public Library
- We will discuss sponsorship signage at our public athletic fields.
Tuesday – Committee on Citizen Engagement
- Update on a new software and mobile application for Citizen Relationship Management
- Update regarding ongoing initiatives
Tuesday – Council Work Session and Regular Session
- Work Session to begin at 12:00 PM in the Council Work Session Room at City Hall
- Ethics – Continuing our discussion on the establishment of our Denton’s ethics ordinance. Note: There is time slotted at the beginning of this work session item for the public to address the council and provide comments. Come early and fill out a Blue Card to speak.
- Dockless Bike Share – Council and staff will be discussing dockless bike share programs in general, and Denton’s experience so far with bike share. While I do have a level of frustration with Denton’s bike share experience to date, I am not against the idea of well run program which works with the city. My hope is that we can have a discussion on the pros and cons of what other communities have experienced and how they have worked to incorporate dockless bike share programs into their overall mobility plan. I am in favor of setting some basic policy guidelines, establishing a permitting process, and selecting a qualified operator to participate in a trial program here in Denton.
- 100% Renewable Energy – We will consider establishing a resolution to adopt a Renewable Resource Plan for Denton that is designed to achieve a 100% renewable goal by 2020. On our current path (Renewable Denton Plan), by January 1, 2019 only 44% of our energy will be supplied from renewable sources (short of the 70% goal of the RDP). I look forward to this discussion and learning more about what has changed over the past year that has now made achieving 100% renewable energy for our community a real possibility.
Thursday – Denton County Homelessness Leadership Team
No agenda to link here, but I am proud of the work that we are doing and the progress we are making together on this team. Learn more here: https://www.unitedwaydenton.org/DCHLT
State of the City – Thursday, February 15th at the new Denton Convention Center. I encourage you to attend. Learn more about this event here: https://www.cityofdenton.com/en-us/residents/make-a-difference/state-of-the-city-(2)
IGNITE – Saturday, February 17th at TWU – 6th Annual Texas Young Women’s Political Leadership Conference Mayor Pro Tem Bagheri and I will be participating along with a number of women elected officials. This is a great organization and event. Please consider attending. Learn more: http://www.ignitenational.org/tx2018
Great Conversations – Thursday, March 1 – UNT Student Union I will be participating as a host on table 4 (Mayor Watts will also be hosting at table 24). Learn more here: http://honors.unt.edu/great-conversations
That is all for now. Please let me know if you have any questions, concerns, or ideas for our City.
Your humble representative,
Keely G. Briggs
District 2 City Council
City of Denton, Texas